In its more than 40-year history, the PTA Reflections program has encouraged millions of students across the nation and in American schools overseas to explore their artistic talents. The program offers students the opportunity to create works of art for fun and recognition. Students in preschool through grade 12 are encouraged to submit works of art in six arts areas:
- Literature — works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics.
- Music Composition — original musical composition, with or without words.
- Photography — prints up to 11 x 14 inches in color or black and white, including techniques: photogram, retouched, montage, sandwich and multiple exposure.
- Visual Arts — drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling.
- Film/Video — original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
- Choreography/Dance — originally choreographed dance composition.
Each year, the National PTA Reflections Program challenges students to create art inspired by a specific theme. To see the current year’s theme, go to the Washington State PTA website’s Reflections page.
Students compete in divisions based on their grade:
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3 – 5
- Middle: Grades 6 – 8
- Senior: Grades 9 – 12
The student winners from Maywood go on to compete at the District, Regional and Washington State levels, with the best-of-the-best entries going to National PTA to be considered for a National Reflections award.