Art Docent Committee Chair
The Art Docent Program is a quality arts literacy enrichment program provided by volunteers that visit the classroom each month to introduce children (and teachers) to the wonders of art appreciation. Art Docent volunteers facilitate the following program goals:
- To expand children’s ability to form definitions of their visual world.
- To familiarize elementary school children with artists in history.
- To examine elements of art that the children can apply to their own creative endeavors.
- To acquaint the children with varied media as a means of expression.
- To provide a resource for teachers.
- To emphasize that lessons are a springboard for creative exploration and not limited to information gathering. To establish the legitimacy of art as a critical part of the basic curriculum.
The committee is responsible for arranging docent training, purchasing and maintaining art docent supplies, and planning the annual Gallery Night that occurs the same evening as the Science Fair.
Breakfast Club/Office Volunteer Committee Chair
Breakfast Club – The Breakfast Club is a fun way to spend 30 minutes serving breakfast to our Maywood Hills kids. It is a simple job, requiring little to no set up, a minimal time commitment (once a week or once every other week for 30 minutes–8:25-8:55 a.m.) and the chance to start our kids off with a smile and a warm breakfast. The chair arranges the volunteer schedule and help to recruit volunteers.
Office Volunteer Coordinator – Coordinates volunteers to assist the office staff for 30 minutes each morning with greeting late students, writing late slips, and doing the lunch count.
Class Commemorative Books Committee Chair
Works with the school librarian to select new books donated by the PTA in honor of each Maywood class. Honorary labels with the teacher and student names are placed inside each book and students receive a bookmark stating which book has been given in their honor.
Library Volunteer Coordinator
Helps coordinate the two Maywood PTA Book Fairs (Fall and Spring), as well as recruits and schedules volunteers for both fairs. Also recruits volunteers to help in the library during the school year.
Science Docent Committee Chair
The Science Docents assist the teachers in the classroom with providing hands-on science lessons. The committee is responsible for arranging docent training, recruiting volunteers and planning the annual Science Fair.
State Testing Support Committee
Organizes snacks and water for all students while they are doing state-mandated testing in the Spring.
These positions currently have a chairperson, and a replacement is needed for the 2020-21 school year. This is a great opportunity to learn the ropes!
Emergency Prep Committee
This committee helps with the following items:
- Maintains classroom emergency supplies that are found in the first-aid buckets
- Maintains the inventory of emergency supplies/information in the storage container located east of the upper field
- Updates emergency name tags for each student at Maywood
- Participates in a phone-tree in the event of an emergency
Festival of Cultures Committee Chair
This committee plans and implements an evening event celebrating the cultures and ancestries of Maywood Hills families.
Health Screen Day Committee Chair
Assist the school nurse with Vision and Hearing Screening Day. Recruits volunteers for screening day.
Cultural Connections Committee Chair (Currently Hispanic Community Connections)
Leads the effort to build partnerships with members of Maywood’s cultural communities, including providing translations for PTA flyers and seeking ways to participate with the community in their cultural events.
Advocates for local initiatives and issues that pertain to local children and education. Attends the annual statewide Legislative Assembly and the annual PTA convention. Is encouraged to attend district board meetings and PTA Regional and Council meetings to stay abreast of issues.
Membership Committee Chair
The Membership committee promotes the importance of becoming a PTA member and assists with membership enrollment.